Thursday, May 29, 2014

Wheat Wraps

I don't like buying tortillas at the grocery store. It's not that I have anything against grocery stores or tortillas or anything like that. It's the tangy-yuck taste that store bought (pre-packaged) tortillas have (that I taste).

So, I let Alton Brown teach me the recipe of how to make tortillas. clickclickclickclickclick here for that do-dah I did awhile ago

Totally new story: I used to work at Jason's Deli (whaaat?!) And in that time there I cussed out a manager over a paycheck and time-stubs, quit twice, flaked out completely, and never made it to "make" position. Still lots of fun and good times were had.

Funny story (still referencing my Jason's Deli days): When I made "whipped cream" I left the mixer going - went back out on the line, took an order. Then someone said (his name is Alex) - Uhhhh. Who is making whipped cream? And I had a sinking feeling in my stomach because the way he said what he said, told me that something went amuck.

I went to the back and I guess I didn't have the bowl locked in tightly enough. There was whipped cream EVERYWHERE and I had successfully churned the cream to butter. I'm so talented.

Okay, but getting back to the wheat wrap - Every special occasion (once a month or so) Jason takes me to Whole Foods. The smell when I enter there! Oh man. I love it. I usually always go straight for the seafood salad they have - it's got roasted red peppers, shredded jicama and carrot - and the seafood included is calamari (tentacles are my fave), mussels, tiny shrimp, and bay scallops. It's so good. I can taste it right now just thinking about it.

I found a variety of wraps there that were similar to the wraps used when I worked at Jason's Deli. Problem was that the package of wraps (price range) at Whole Foods was somewhere around $5.49-$6.50. Each package yielded 6 HUGE wraps. But anyways, $1 per wrap was worth it to me usually every trip to Whole Foods. I got so sad though much too soon when I would end up using the last wrap. So, I did a stupid move and I would buy 2 the next trip. That was alright for a couple of trips back - but the wraps began to become too costly. I would also be careful in trying to save the wraps because I wanted to try and avoid that sinking feeling. Needless to say, this got to be a small prob and a big dilemma.

So I took it to the streets internet worldwideweb I looked inside my heart first. Then I got on the internet and scoured endlessly and very tired like (I'm so tired these days, it's ridiculous) BUT!

Long story short. I found a recipe that I like. Here's the link:Wheat Wrap Recipe


I wanted to show you how to roll it all out because that's always the tricky part for me. Anyways, I'll be posting more so staaaay tuned!

Wrap Recipe Combo Idears:
1. Turkey Breast, Guacamole, Alfalfa Sprouts, Chopped Tomatoes, shredded Asiago
2. Peanut Butter, Grape Jelly, smashed honey roasted Cashews
3. Chicken Breast, Honey Mustard, Cabbage Slaw, Shredded Raw Onion, & toasted Sliced Almonds
4. Cheddar Cheese, Avocado, Mango Chutney, and dashes of Tabasco

I made one today. (wasn't my fave but it was still decent) It had 1 and a half slices of Boar's Head Tavern Ham, 1/4c of store bought Guac (it was a buy one get one free deal), shredded asiago and then I had Ken's Italian dressing and French's mustard to dip and drag in.

ALSO! You can leave the wraps out to dry out. From there you could grind down for bread crumbs.
You can also bake them to make into chip-like dippable thingys. You could use them as a pizza crust, you could make them into a quesadilla. And they're good to feed birds with if you have left-overs and you don't want to see them thrown away and/or wasted.

And oh yah! Thanks for the supa-skillzed camerma man - Jason Anderson. Give it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment