Sunday, June 1, 2014

Prepping and Flash Fried Fish in a Pan

Trout is one of my favorite fish to cook whole and on the grill. The meat stays moist, has no sort've "fishy flavor" and goes well with any herb/seasoning that your heart so desires. I usually do a lemon, thyme and brown butter flavor profile. (like that fancy lingo-talk huh?)

I really doubted myself to even include this amateur-ish botch job of a fish preppage. I figure - whatevs.
 
 
 
 
to scale or not to scale. I usually scale by holding its tail with one hand & scraping "against the grain" & getting rid of the scales w/the blade of a dull knife. It's not totally critical to scale a trout - but I do it because I figure its good practice & because just cause.
 
there's lots of extra bones that are easy to eat around once the flesh is totally cooked. I sometimes pull out with tweezers one by one before I cook the fish - this takes me about 7ish minutes. and again, is good practice.
 
I don't really know what I'm doing. I cut out its spine this round.  
 
tweeze
 
 
to the cutting board
 
I'm not a professional

Next day: I know I said trout is great on the grill. It's also great to change your mind last minute to NOT grill on the grill and save for a great next day dinner. The next day, I seasoned with dried thyme, salt, pepper, and dusted the outside with dried left over bread crumbs. (a dusting of cornmeal or AP flour would be just as good too - in place of the bread crumb - so don't even ask.

Lemon slice, strips of roasted red pepper, and sliced carrots showed themselves alongside in the pan. A splash of wine made an appearance.

It really was a last minute dinner. I served a salad with bottled dressing and pre-made orzo ots (on the side)
 
season
 
dried bread crumbage
 
pinch of thyme (1/4teas)
 
sliced lemon.
 
add 2 Tbl veg oil over med-high heat. preheat for 3min or until the oil starts to shimmer
 
lay the trout skin side down
 
lay on the lemon
 
add the carrot and roasted red pepper
 
let the cooking commence
 
1.5min in
 
3min. in
 
5min. in
 
check to flip. blurry shot number 1
 
eye is opaque. donzo. blurry shot number 2
 
fancy huh.
 
add a bay leaf, deglaze w/wine and cover to rest for 5min or so.
 
dead cooked on arrival
 
add some orzo
 
plate up
 
shut up

eat up!

noooow we're dead on arrival

No comments:

Post a Comment