Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Penny

I found Penny online. (the internet) Her name was "Scooter" at the time. We adopted her in Fort Walton Beach, FL. a week before we were headed back to Texas in late August. We got back the 25th or the 26th and I made a bee-line to bring her home from PAWS (the humane society and adoption center) Look them up @ paws-shelter.com

The address is 752 LoveJoy Road Zip Code 32548
 
Penny's first FaceBook debut. I thought about naming her Gidget at one point. Roseanne fan. What?!

It was heart breaking for all the volunteers/employees there to see her go - at least that's what I read on their faces and expressions. Jason and I interrupted a group meeting when we arrived. A receptionist let all the people in the meeting know that we were there to take "Scooter." A couple of comments of disbelief and gasps quickly followed. Her primary care-taker cried. I promised to write them and send pictures. But I never did ... or haven't yet. I should.

Anywho. The second "Scooter" strolled through the door - she was not at home just yet. We had 2 weeks left in the house we were leasing. We broke the "no pets policy" clause. Well, not so much broke the rule - we bended it. Slightly.

We had already bought (that's right. Jason bought me a house 10min. from the beaches of Destin, Fl) a home and were scheduled to move in the beginning of September.

Anyways, the first day I brought "Scooter" home - Jason left to go buy her food. I was left alone with her and I panicked. I dropped her head first onto our back-screened in patio. Then, I couldn't figure out how to get her into her wheels - I couldn't remember how the lady showed me how to do it.

Oh yah - funny story: When we first went to pay for her (pre-Texas trip) I asked a few questions like: how much food does she need, will I hurt her, what does she like, how is her day typically spent, ect. Jason chimed in and asked (verbatim): "How do we know when to put her to sleep?"

- crickets -

Then I nervous laughed it off and explained he meant "putting her to bed" - or if we should kennel her or not. Anyways. good ole Jason.

Facts about Penny: The people at PAWS said they found her paralyzed. They said she was approximately 7mo old when we got her. She was not happy getting spade - it took a few to hold her down. She was caked in her own feces from her hips down and her stomach was extremely raw/red/and infected when I brought her home. It took a week of soaking and brushing to fully remove all traces of poo. Her stomach healed soon after.

Jason took a couple of weeks to adjust to her. He takes mighty good care of her now tho. He has a spot for her on his recliner. And I just feel lucky that Jason knows how much I care for her.
 

First FaceBook photo I took of her once I settled on the name "Penny"

No comments:

Post a Comment