Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Post 127

Turkey Roll Ups.
 
 
"Every day is black tie optional."
 
Generally speaking, recipes and cooking and Food Network and books and Moms and shame and pain and health and image and the internet and movies and music and schools and weights and and and and and

All of these ANDs make cooking easy and attainable, right?! Well yes and no. Buts come to mind, but anywho -
 
FACT JACK! I can say for sure, that pin pointing a recipe down verbatim, is physically impossible.
What I mean by that is, I worry a lot about what the take away is from my recipes. I don't want to shell out hum-drums or useless information and/or even so-called "copy cat" type recipes.

Anywho - the worrying had bogged me down so much, that I quit my blog altogether. I've learned that while it's okay to do - for an extended period of time, much like yogging only with a j - the little things are what matters. And little it be, my blog - I hope or at least wish it may bring that little extra sumpin delish to your dinner table. (Or whenever you're stuffing food down your gullet. Ideally amongst friends/fam. If you hate the face you're looking at while you eat, well I dunno what to tell you bud - except - find new faces in food.

Sooo. That's my piece before we get into the pictures and my recipes.

Okay, turkey roll ups.
The guts:
I like the idea of turkey roll ups, because it sounds odd and fun. Familiar, but a little wacky.
The idea is to combine 3 ingredients - no set measurements of the 3 ingredients.
The ingredients are the base.


Friendly reminder: How much of each ingredient you have - this varies from individual, the crowd cooked for, and the general taste that is looking to be achieved. (this is where you come in to make a decision)

Guacamole, Roasted Red Pepper, Oven Roasted Turkey Breast

I had a giant portion of guacamole - a whole avocado's worth.
I had 1/4 of a roasted red pepper.
I had both turkey and ham. (split decision - I went with the turkey)

Looky there:
 
 
 
Laid it all out on the board to give me a visual. I decided then to smear the guac on the turkey, then line or layer the "turkey wrap" around and on the roasted red pepper.
 

 
The variations of this are (as my Dad would say) out of this world. Needing a jump off point for myself though, I always have some black olives around. I got wild (wild and crazy, that is) and sliced one on the fly. It was good, but be careful. Or at least, I bared in mind that - I knew the olive bite would make me want asiago cheese, and then Italian dressing, and then a wheat wrap - and would lead on to another entirely different meal. Black olives are fun tho, and the whole wrap of it benefited from that minerally, familiar flavor from childhood. (Thanksgivings were all about the canned black olive for me and my sis Z. Ask her, she'll tell you.)
 
 
 
 

THE END!
 








 Get busy. Get creative. Eat. Annnd be kind and sincere. It's a lost art.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, kiddo - glad you're back to the cooking blog. Now I'd never have thought to put the roasted pepper on the outside - but I like the look - almost like a ribbon around a rolled up diploma ! I'll have to try this soon.

    Looking forward to more goodies and more good ideas for this cook (and Dale can be the guinea pig for each new recipe . . and your Dad too, if he's at the Rhoades' house).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mrs. Rhoades! Thanks :-) I'm glad you enjoy it. The "roasted red pepper" trick is pretty cool, aye? I'm all about wraps these days. They're nice to eat in the summer, & they don't heat up my kitchen too much.

    Most of my wrap "flavor pairings" come from my Jason's Deli days. I make a Portabello Mushroom Wrap, a version of their Turkey wrap (when it had sprouts), and their Ranchero Wrap. *The Ranchero wrap is Jason's fave.

    I'll post versions of how to assemble those as well. I'll want to post first, though - how to make my homemade wheat wraps. Dead simple and requires no rest or rising time. *My kind've recipe!

    Anywho, thanks for the comment. I always enjoy hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete