Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pizza Turkey Burgers & Planning Ahead (Prep-p-age)

Pizza Turkey Burgers.

I made this batch of "mixture meat" or, otherwise known as a burger last night. I used turkey because, I like to make my meatballs with ground turkey meat. One package -has a pound or so in it. I use half to make meatballs and/or meatloaf and/or meat sauce for spaghetti. And the other half I do with whatever I want. Usually, I like making turkey "pizza burgers" because Jason likes them too & it's always nice to eat together. If he'd rather something else like In-N-Out or Five Guys or McDonalds, that's fine. What I do then is divide the leftover turkey in half. So I end up with the potential of either 2 turkey burgers or 1 turkey burger and meat to use for tacos or dumplings or another filling of sorts. ANYWAYS!

The Ingredients for the turkey burger Recipe:

1/2lb Ground Turkey

Dried Oregano
Red Pepper Flake
Ground Fennel Seed

Tomato Paste
Asiago Cheese
Salt & ground Black Pepper
 
 
 
 *to handle any ground meat (that has not yet been seasoned) is kind've a tricky thing to do when you think about it too much. All you need to know is: Break up the clumps by way of fork. (or a dingle-hopper if we're using 'The Little Mermaid' terms.
 
think "flake and fluff"

 When in doubt, dust in cheese. (some say)
 
*So for this half pound of turkey - this is supposed to feed Jason and me at least 3 lunches or 2 dinners - ideally speaking. I like to prep ahead (just like any doomsdayer does) So, for that I mix in my Asiago (fave cheese still), tomato paste, salt, pepper, and oregano.

I must say though, the aforementioned amounts are a rough guess-timate. What you're looking at here is (as far as seasonings go) 1/4 finely shredded (not pregrated) Asiago, 1Tbl tomato paste, 1/2tsp Kosher salt (or coarse salt), 1/4tsp grinded black pepper (not pre-ground), and 1/2tsp dried oregano.
 
This is where it gets a little dicey. The amounts I just told you, were completely hypothetical. Those are the amounts you need to know if you want to prep up until that point - think preppage on Tuesday to eat for the next 2 days, with sights set on Friday night. Now. SINCE, I already had Turkey Burgers on the brain, I knew to scale back the amounts of salt, pepper, and oregano - because I knew I had already had plans for them in my pestle and mortar (don't get hung up on the name - a spice grinder or a plastic bag with a rolling pin is the same thing. Just whatever/however you choose to grind your spices with.)
 
These types of things are how do you say... a delicate matter. Very very delicate. So let's take a look how I bashed skulls and took names. Like a boss, applesauce.
 
 
 

The end product is here. I took a pic to show you a rough glance at as to how I estimated spice to meat, and everything else that I did. Also, the smell and aroma at this point. JUST like a pepperoni pizza, promise.
 
 


ASSEMBLE ... for later to WHHHHHIP it out, at a moments notice.


*the patties could be formed at this point if you'd like. I would suggest only 2 layers when stacking, and line the pan and the top of the 1st layer for the 2nds bottom with parchment paper - or anything that will not absorb water. When water is absorbed and the protein or whatever is sitting in it mixes with oxygen or outside air - bacteria can grow. This isn't so terrible. I mean cheese is here thanks to it - but for health reasons and common sense: NEVER leave out food to spoil or Just know, that when you want to leave things at room temperature.
 
This is probably not the best time (but whatevs) to tell you that a better burger or any cooked protein is best cooked when started cooking from room temperature (in most or some cases) That's just me though. Usually I don't plan ahead like I should, so for that I use my microwave or when cooking, I like to use a lot of steam to lock in flavor and keep moisture. - to make up for it. 
 
Anywhos, lunch time is turkey burgers. I knew that yesterday. I had these flavors bared in mind, and I took a photo for you.
 

Will post about lunch later on. Til then - Have fun today. Even though things may not look like you want them to - doesn't mean the fun isn't there. (or it goes something like that I think.)

No comments:

Post a Comment