Tuesday, May 27, 2014

a Breakfast

This is the tale of Jason's uneaten breakfast. It's exactly 5:21am. I remember Jason mentioning his alarm (maybe being set to go off) at 5:30am. I remember because he said, "5:30am comes early, don't it?" >insert Jason's shitty-smiling grin here<

I have 9min. to make his breakfast. He likes to eat on the go, I think. He likes eggs. Eggs are hard to eat on the go, I back track. Croissant. One left over croissant. nigella Lawson croissant bread pudding. (inserts black satin pink back light with reds hues. as a visual of course) *I don't like bread pudding, I think. Lindsey likes it though. It's her favorite. Stomach turns. It should be my favorite too, I think. I bet Lindsey hated that part. Quit talking about her.
 
remember to always have familiar flavors
 
"to new beginnings"
 
choose your pan and heat level. It's okay, coffee isn't in the pic yet.
 
torn Croissant and one scrambled egg
 
looks like Hawaiian Rolls close up, doesn't it? I thought so anyways.
 
go-to fats are important

 
you know what else is equally important? Toppings. and finishing touches.
 
heat source
 
"gonna fry my baby gonna hold her tight gonna take an apple tomb be bite"
That's how the lyrics go, right?
 
Seriously though - Up to this point: Scrambled an egg, seasoned it with a smidge of vanilla (about 1/8th of a teaspoon) and then dunked the sliced/torn croissant pieces in with the egg mixture. The croissant will absorb as much of the egg mixture as possible and/or as much as you let it.

I wanted to go a funnel cake, Dutch-apple baby, flattened cinnamon roll - type of direction. Quick on my feet, I pre-heated some oil over high heat - and then dumped the croissant/egg/vanilla into the hot oil.
 
 
take cover
 
smashed
 
smoosh it down
 
bottom's up
 
doused in cream. This is Nigella Lawson's answer to most everything. I applied that here.
 
little cinnamon, perhaps?
 
I could've left this part out
 
guess I didn't
 
under harsh light with no morning sun in sight yet
 
I dusted the dark top with powdered sugar as if it were a beignet or funnel cake. I sprinkled a smidge of nutmeg and showered with a seasoning of coarse salt. Also, I fried an egg in case Jason wasn't feeling like trying something new.

Syrup, honey, jam, chocolate, Nutella, strawberries, caramel, ice cream, peanuts, ground red pepper, Chinese Five-Spice - all nice added toppings. Orange marmalade and a Maker's Mark or Amaretto with maraschino cherries (combo of sorts) don't sound too shabby either.
 
BREAKFAST IS SERVED!
 
This was literally just before Jason opened the door. I just happened to be there. coincidence? Your call.

Sad story: Jason didn't eat any of this. The egg turned into part of my lunch - and I ate part of the rest of it of the impromptu-croissant-pancake. I threw the rest/leftovers in the trash bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment