Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Beer Butt Chicken

The butt crack of dawn and the promise it brings. Makes me sing. Let's me dream.

Enter: Beer Butt Chicken
 
 
Jason is a gadget man (go-go gadget!) so he wanted to buy a lift specially made for Beer Butt Chicken. It cost $4.39+tax at Smith's Grocery
 
We're starting past go with this recipe. The charcoal is white hot at this point. I've got a small cast iron of goose-fat + reserved lard + oil melting and heating over the grates, set over the coals - this is for basting. Also, a bowl of liquid is underneath to encourage circulating steam - this helps not dry out any meat that could/might become overcooked/dry.
 
I bought a brander or a hook thingy-ma-jig at Walmart for $5 on clearance. The ladle was given to me sometime ago.
 
Hey, how are ya?
 
wait for it.
 
wait for it.
 
hold.
 
not yet
 
GOTCHA! Money shot.
 
rest
 
recoop
 
I covered its wings in foil because I didn't want them to burn. Tricks of the trade - if you will
 
Look! The marital fight over a charcoal chimney purchase is done. (I'm still bitter about it. But I love him for trying to make amends. Marriage. It's a mother
 
cluck-cluck-cluck-cluck says the chicken
 
BER-GAAAAWK! - what the chicken would say if it weren't dead and being spit roasted over my grill like it's its destined to be business.
 
matters of the heart.
 
necessities for this particular chicken. Jason was drinking Shiner Bock. That's my pizza pan turned grill "silver" tray. Soaking hickory chips. Drying damp hickory champs waiting to be thrown on the coals.
I have a bag of Apple, Cherry, and Hickory chips for my using.
Question is: Did I chunk or sneak in any of these 3 variables of my own?
And if I did - how much and when?
 
I sliced some vedge to go alongside.
 
I doused them in Ken's Asiago Italian Dressing
 
Orchid Update
 
Penny. I love her.
 
Jason's spritz spray that he made for his brisket. I use it all the time now - ribs, on this chicken, ect.

The point of the vinegar (Jason's spray) is to create instant evaporation. This dries the chicken's skin out and in turn creates a crispy skin as well as insures locked in juices. I basted with fat for this same reason. Fat is a balm and will not let water in or out (so to speak).

I also did not grill the chicken directly over the fire - but rather had the coals to the left of the grill. One side of the chicken was facing the coal-heat. I kept basting and spritzing until a tan was formed. Rotate, repeat. I bared in mind that the thigh and back side of the chicken could withstand more heat without risk of drying out like the breast-side would.

I figured that @ 350 (in an oven) - a 5lb chicken takes approximately (they'll tell you 1.5hours) 50-55min. With a rest time of 30min. and a broil time of 5ish min. So, I applied that knowledge to the rest of my grilling know-how. The chicken (all in all on the grill) on a beer, setting on a grate, beside the coal heat, coming from the coals that was started by a fire Jason lit - 2 hours? maybe.

Left overs were great on Hawaiian Rolls - Chicken salad with a Pineapplely/Mango hot sauce - And of course in salads or a wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment