Thursday, May 22, 2014

Summer Corn Salad

Make salad out of frozen summer vedge. I used 2 types of corn (shoe-peg white & plain yellow)

Add some amounts of each vedge (I excluded peas because I can do that. It's my summer corn salad)
 
 
 
I know that I really like corn, so that's why it was the "bulk/majority" of this salad. Also, had some inspiration from its name. I've had a thing for Lima Beans since watching "Camp Nowhere" - I usually have a bag 2 weeks out of the month in my freezer (approximate guess)

Dressing time. I decided to use this fat: 
 
 
I remembered that fat flavor when choosing my acid.

To cook (or defrost) my vedge, I doused and let soak in boiling water. I was cooking pasta at the time, so I just dumped in (or used) the hot pasta liquid. I'm sure it imparted some starch because of the starchy water - but not enough to where next time I'll want to add a potato or corn starch of some sort. (Starch makes clothes stiff if you iron them (the clothes) with starch (usually sprayed/spritzed) post applied starch-spray.)

 
 
I decided to use onion tops from my onions that I grow on my front porch. (I don't keep them out back with my tomato plants. The gasses released from the onions kill my tomato leaves too quickly for my comfort.)
Also, I added leaves of parsley. - cilantro or any other leafy green will do - be adventurous. 
 
 
Add salt and pepper and your acid to make a dressing with the EVOO (if you're doing it my way) 
 
 
 
I also mixed the salad in a strainer - moisture and heat (humidity) make way for soggy bottoms. Sometimes I like soggy bottoms (i.e. I like to soak my cereal before eating it. Makes it so soggy good for me)

I like corn with a snap/crunch so - I mixed in a strainer. Use a bowl if you want tho. See:  
 
 
Lime was my acid.

Finishing touches:
 
 
"fresh-out" of the "freshly ground" variety (there's so much pun in there, I can't even handle it)
Also: Proof "pre-ground" pepper is not an abomination and is actually a decent addition - if not better, I must say
 
Summer Corn Salad
 
Quick Tip! Buy canned fruits that would otherwise be "expensive" or budget-cutting if you were to buy fresh.

My flaves this week: 
 

2 comments:

  1. love corn salad most any time - but like how you freshened it up with lime . . . will fix it for your Dad plus Dale & Randy at the lake this weekend . . . goes well w/grilled chicken !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alrighty! Thanks :-)

    Jason and I were thinking (or more like, he told me - haha) that Jason wants to grill a "beer-butt chicken." They're a lotta fun, I guess. If we do that, I'll be sure to blog-it!

    Btw, lemon pepper chicken is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete