Monday, May 19, 2014

Clean a Cast Iron Skillet

My Grandma Weinbrenner let me have 2 miniature cast iron skillets (of hers), which I adore.

Don't ask me how to season a brand new one, because I don't know. I do have my own way of cleaning my "Weinbrenner - now Anderson" cast iron skillets tho - and for that, I can tell you ALLLLL about it.
 
My stove-top looks disgusting to some. 
 
set water in the cast iron and heat to boiling
 
don't forget about a towel or pot holder - the handle is usually too hot to handle
 
peak see into my salt box
 
be generous with your salt
 
scrub with a neutral material - I used parchment paper in this instance
 
example of what the salt picked up
 
rinse
 
set to dry
 
remove all moisture. If you're in a hurry, add heat under the pan to encourage evaporation
 
oil away from heat
 
Voila. Cared-for age as far as a cast iron pan is concerned.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment