Monday, May 19, 2014

Nonstick Skillet turned Rogue Rebel

Story time. Thought I'd killed my non-stick skillet for good by using metal utensils on it, and brissly sponges to clean its surface. I had it a couple of years & it was time for a new pan. I thought I'd try to salvage it anyway by cleaning/seasoning it the way I would a cast iron pan. I figured, I was already gonna throw it away - so why not at least try. (Plus I was bored)
 
I used boiling water to sanitize, salt to scrape dry, and a buffer (cloth, avocado skin, butter wrapper, ect) then - lastly I coated lightly with an even layer of oil to season.
 
bring to a boil
 
dump out. watch for steam
 
add course salt and use the salt to scrape the pan clean
 
don't neglect the edges
 
or any curve or crusty
 
clean enough
 
choose a fat 
 
then evenly coat

While I saved the skillet (for now) - I don't treat it the same as my cast iron pan as far as how I use it when I cook goes (even tho I use the same process/method to clean it).

I like to shallow fry in this skillet because the bottom of the pan is thinner. It is great for "wok" recipes, sauteeing thin cutlets of meat (chicken, pork, ect.). And I must say, it makes for great melty cheese crispies. - That's for another post.

All in all, it's nice to have around. I also feel good that I didn't have to throw it away. But that's just me.
 
a beaut if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment