Monday, April 30, 2012

Chicken and Dumplings Version 2

While my first chicken and dumpling blog post (click HERE for that recipe) is a goodie, it's a bit of an oldie. My 2nd version of this classic comfort food is quite simply made of broth, chicken, and dumplings. Since there were so few components in this soup, I felt the chicken broth had to be top notch. Therefore, I decided to make a batch of homemade chicken broth. It also features a new form of dumplings that I refer to as "flat dumplings." HOW EXCITING! Well, for me anyways.

Ingredients:
4C Homemade Chicken Broth (click HERE for that recipe)
2C Shredded Chicken
Flat Dumpling Dough (click HERE for that recipe)

Directions:
Prepare dumpling dough. Bring chicken broth to a boil. Cook dumplings. Add shredded chicken.


My chicken broth makings yielded me 3 1/4C of liquid gold. To make 4C broth, I added 3/4 water.


Bring to a boil. 


Add dumplings.

 

Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 10min.



 Add 2C shredded chicken. 


Bowl up. 

I meant to take a picture of the chicken and dumplings naked (without any optional ingredients). But I got a little over zealous what with a bowl of deliciousness in front of my face and in my haste, added some preferred pepper without remembering to snap a photo beforehand. Apologies.

Cook's Notes:
This soup is so good on its own. I mean, seriously good. However, sometimes I can't just leave things be. Optional additions are: Black pepper, cream, half & half, milk, chopped herbs (chives, parsley, thyme, sage), or even a squeeze of lemon.

As previously mentioned, I really like to add a bit of freshly ground pepper to my bowl of chicken and dumplings. (and MAYBE a splash of heavy cream if I have it on hand or it's been a really bad day)

No comments:

Post a Comment