Thursday, April 5, 2012

Penne Pasta Salad w/Prosciutto and Fresh Mozzarella

I love pasta salad. And as far as I'm concerned, Kim Beene & Mika Westberry are the queens of pasta salad. -I'm not sure if they'll appreciate me dawning them that title. But I promise, it's a revered title (in my world anyway) held in high esteem.- They both gave me their recipes, but alas, I simply cannot duplicate what it is they do. That's okay though, because I've got this fancy version in my back pocket. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Ingredients:
1/2lb Penne

1 1/2Tbl EVOO
2 slices Prosciutto
2oz fresh Mozzarella

1 clove Garlic
S&P

Directions:
Cook penne. Mince prosciutto, garlic, and shred mozzarella. Rinse and drain the penne. Add EVOO, prosciutto, garlic, mozzarella, and pepper. Eat immediately or refrigerate for up to 4 days.

Everyone's got prosciutto and fresh mozzarella laying around at their disposal. Right? *see note


Stack 2 slices of prosciutto atop of one another.
Roll like a cigar.



Slice twice lengthwise.
Then dice.




Mince garlic.
Use a pinch of salt as an abrasive. Use the blade to crush and create a paste.



Shred 2oz. fresh mozzarella


Bring 6C water to a boil. Add 1teas salt.
Boil penne for 11min.
Lay a wooden spoon or spatula across the top to prevent overflowage.


--I know this next step is unheard of to some people, but it's done regularly in my house. If it really makes you uncomfortable, cook the penne for only 10min. and skip the direction in italics--

Drain and rinse penne under cold water.
Pour into a bowl.
Add the EVOO, prosciutto, garlic, mozzarella, and 1/4teas black pepper.




Plate up.


Cook's Note:

I'm fully aware prosciutto and fresh mozzarella are both expensive ingredients. This is a recipe I do NOT make often because of the extra expense. 1lb. of cooked rotini mixed with a 16oz. bottle of Kraft Italian dressing is the way I usually go when making pasta salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment