Monday, June 13, 2011

Chicken & Dumplings

Comfort Food Mecca. Destination: Chicken and Dumplings.

 
If Campbell's Soup is Mmm Mmm! Good, then my Chicken & Dumplings are Mmm Mmm! Better.
that's right. I said it.

Which came first? The Chicken or the Dumpling? Today, it will be the Dumpling.

Mix
2c All Purpose Flour
3teas Baking Powder
3/4teas Iodized (not Kosher) Salt
1/2teas dried Thyme
1/4c chopped fresh Parsley

Cut in
1/4c (or 4TBL) Shortening

Add just to combine
1/2c Evaporated milk mixed with 1/2c Water











As instructed, mix.


Plop in the shortening


Mix for a minute. Literally. Mix for a minute.


Floured shortening. Or shortened flour.

I'm a Kings of Leon fan.


Sometimes you don't need all of the milk. People get mad if you don't warn them about this.


Looking good.
Dump out.
They don't call em dumplings for nothing!


This is what I do with my dough.

Squash it.

Squish it.


Shape it.


Act like I know what I'm doing until it eventually comes together.


Shower in flour.


Pitter


Patter


til flattened out.





"I will cut you" - Bon Qui Qui








Flour-shower time. Again.

Sep-a-rate


Plate

With the dumplings sorted, time to move on to its counterpart. The chicken.

And when I say "chicken," I mean a creamy soup comprised of onions, carrots, celery, stock, evaporated milk, & yours truly - (shredded) chicken. Seasonings & herbs included, of course.

Heat over medium
2 TBL butter
1 TBL oil


Add
2 Onions (diced)
2 stalks Celery (sliced diagonally)
2 Carrots (unpeeled & sliced diagonally)

First of all, I've got to brag about my homegrown Texas onions BB brought to me.
Thanky!





Cook (over medium heat) uncovered for 10 min.

Season with
1/2teas Kosher (not Iodized) Salt
1/2teas ground Black Pepper
1/2teas dried Sage
3TBL chopped Fresh Parsley (I also chop & add the celery leaves)



no celery leaf left behind.


Cover
Cook (over med-low heat) for 10 min.
Uncover

Add
1TBL Better than Chicken Boillion
6c Water



Bring to a boil
Add
Dumplings



Poke & prod to make sure the dumplings are submerged
Simmer UNCOVERED for 10min.
then
COVER and simmer 8min.
Uncover

after 10min. uncovered.

after 8min. covered.

Add
3c Shredded Chicken
the rest of the Canned Evaporated Milk (about 1/2c)
Cook for another 2min.

Don't forget to make a wish, if a wishbone is present!





Taste
Season accordingly (I usually add more pepper & a little extra parsley)


Serve up by the ladleful.
Eat up by the bowlful.


Til your heart is content and all is right with the world again...


...even if you got the short end of the wishbone. Which I did.

Damn it Jason.

1 comment:

  1. btw this turned out AMAZING when i made it, even considering my eye-balling measurement methods (due to a serious aversion to metric conversion)! this southern dish even impressed and delighted my southern italian roommates!

    ReplyDelete