Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Orange Roughy Lunch

I have fond memories of Orange Roughy dinners, particularly when I lived in Tyler, Tx. The address of my first home I really made memories at was: 306 Ridgecrest. I remember the white cabinets in the kitchen with the red handles and knobs. I remember playing Skip-It in the backyard. I remember two huge and massive Oaks that dotted our front yard. Now they're gone. The Oaks, not my memories.

Anyways, still jogging down memory lane - Our Orange Roughy suppers usually consisted of carrots, potatoes, and onions in individual parcels seasoned with Kraft Italian Dressing that were baked in the oven. We would buy most of our groceries at Albertson's. I'd ride in the under-carriage of the cart and get in trouble for "dragging my feet."

Anywho - fast forward to today: August 27, 2014 @ around 10:30ish this morning. I was shopping at Smith's Food & Grocery here in North Las Vegas. I've been craving seafood for the last week and today, my craving got the best of me. I found myself at the fish counter when I was only supposed to be at the store for only water and some medicine. I'd been thinking of doing a "Fish Piccata" blog entry for the longest (like 2 months) and my intentions were just that as I perused the morning's fish display case. Cod loins were on sale for $1.99 but a clearance item caught my eye. I picked out my pickens, bee-lined it to produce for lemons. Left that section with green beans ($.79 for one lemon? No thanks).

Headed home. Watched some of the US Open, watched 2 hours worth of YouTubes - then it was time for lunch!

Which brings us here. An Orange Roughy Lunch. No baking. No Kraft. 10min. to prepare.
 
not pictured: EVOO, Salt, Pepper, Wine, and Paprika
 
snip snip. I left the tails
 
chop
 
I rinsed the fish. It did have a smell, but the smell was gone with the tap water I rinsed it with. It was on clearance, so I'm not complaining. Lemon juice would have been nice to rinse with as well. 
 
blanch in salted boiling water. a lemon slice would have been nice.
 
preheat skillet over med-highish heat for a couple of minutes
 
season the fish however you please. I chose salt and paprika.
 
I added that much EVOO
 
my green beans did the ALS Ice Bucket challenge. Question: Where and How was all that donated money spent and distributed? I need to know. Also, this may be wrong but I still don't know what ALS is. I mean I know it stand for: Airman Leadership School ... but other than that. I don't know, maybe I should care more.
 
obviously there was a thin end to this piece of fish. I draped it up the sides of the pan, allowing most of the heat to cook the thicker part of the fish. In hopes of even cooking and so the entire piece would be done at the same time without over or undercooking. phew.
 
I added the already chopped tomatoes within 60 seconds
 
looky there! The thin side shrunk into the pan itself. Must've been ready for some heat.
 
scoot
 
scoot. Make way for the beans!
wait. first flip. (my favorite spatula)
 
ok. Now for the green beans.
 
 
post-pepper
 
added a teas or so of capers along with a teas or so of caper juice
 
shimmy shimmy shake
 
unblurry
 
wine time. just a splash of this stuff.
 
THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment