Thursday, August 28, 2014

Matzoh Ball Soup

up since the butt-crack of dawn
 
 
shot glass of 2Tbl of water I left to chill overnight. gotta put up warning signs. I'm a clutz sometimes.
 
note taking is paramount
 
set to boil
 
beat til frothy. I don't have a fancy hand-held-crank beater like Aunt Rosalie.
 
water time
 
fat, seasoning, salt time
 
Matzoh Meal. I used a different brand than Aunt Roslie. Mine was in a canister like hers, though.
 
get the whisk outta there. stir with a spatula
 
it was gloopy, runny. this is a before pic. I meant to stand my spatula in the mix after 20min. in the fridge to show thickness. I forgot. whoops!
 

so here's what happened. My pot came to a boil @ 8:19. The mix was not chilled enough. I didn't sweat it, and I didn't panic. I killed the heat and waited til my 20min was up. I killed time by watching the movie Alice in Wonderfuland. Futterwacken vigorously.
the remaining 20min flew by. By the time I'd set up my ball rolling station (cold water for my hands to prevent sticking), the water was already at a simmer and back to a rolling boil in no time.
 
 
 
all in. I counted 15 fore I stuck the lid on top

reduced the covered pot to a medium heat
 
reserved/leftover stock
1 ladle. 2 ladles. Microwave on high for 2min.
 
handle with care
 
floaties. they're donzo. took maybe 4-5min? no more than 5.
 
fish out with a slotted spoon
 
set on lid coated in schmaltz. (the lid that covered my reserved homemade stock)
 
drain water place the left over balls back in the pot.
 
cover to keep warm. This was a mistake. made them a little more dense than necessary - Whatevs. I'll know next time what not to do.
 
glumpshkees. That's the word I think of when I look at this photo. Don't ask.
 


 
"Happy Passover. or Happy Everything" - Aunt Rosalie

Today's Recipe for Matzoh Ball Soup (I cut the quantity in half)

Ingredients:
2 Eggs
2 Tbl cool Water
2 Tbl Schmaltz (I only had 1 Tablespoon of schmaltz. I added 1Tbl of Veg oil. The balls did not suffer)1/2 teas Salt
1/4 teas ground Black Pepper

Homemade Chicken Stock

No comments:

Post a Comment