Sunday, May 1, 2011

Texas Chili

No matter how precise the measurement of each seasoning, no matter how specific the ingredient, no matter how uniform each cut... There are certian recipes that are impossible to replicate. And that's just what it is.

These types of recipes are perfect for personalizing.

 Prime Example: Texas Chili

Quiz Time

Directions: Complete the Sentence.

Because it's such a personal recipe, of course people (that take themselves seriously on the subject) are inclined to be, ________.

A. More than confident that their recipe reigns supreme. Meaning, they'll be offended if you say that your's tastes better than their's.

B. WILL NOT divulge techniques. This include(s) their secret(s) of seasoning(s), cut(s) of meat, heat level(s), marination time(s), etc.

C. WILL want you to ask for tips/tricks. Your prying will confirm feelings that their own is the one and only, sought after pot of chili.

D. All of the Above.

If you answered D, then you are correct. And this is to say the least of Chili enthusiasts.

A few things to remember. If you are not looking for perfection, then there is no such thing as a bad pot of chili. However; if you are looking for an Award-Winning pot of chili, then you're basically just looking for someone to tell you that your recipe is wrong.
Appreciate it for what it is, and it will be as forgiving to you as you are to it.

Okay, let's talk my kind of Chili.
Forgive me beforehand if I get a little abbrasive with my views on Chili. But like any other crazed Chili fan, it can't be helped.

Texas Chili. To me, this means cubed beef, tomato, broth, spices, along with a controversial addition of chopped onions, jalapenos, and garlic. So basically, beef, spice, and broth. The mastered length of time in which ratios of spices are added to the pot, is the main diagnosis of people going crazy about perfecting their recipes of chili.
Me? I respect the needed ratio of spices. I respect the needed time to cook the spices with the meat. And I sort of make it all my own with some onion, garlic, and jalapeno. You still with me? Maybe not.

Anyways, here's how I cook my Chili. Feel free to use my recipe to make it your own.

Stuff that goes in the spice mixture:
1/4c chili powder
3Tbl cumin
1Tbl garlic powder
1Tbl onion powder
1Tbl paprika
2teas salt
1teas smoked paprika
1/2teas red pepper flakes
1/2teas cayenne
1/2teas white pepper
1/2teas black pepper


Stuff that goes in the pot:
1.5lb cubed Chuck Roast
4Tbl Veg oil
4c Chopped Onions
4c sliced garlic
1/4c brown sugar
1/2t dried oregano
S&P

28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 extra large green jalapeno
4c beef broth
2c water

First off, I make the spice mixture and set it aside. I like to get it out of the way. (it helps to pace myself, since I know this is the least of the specifics)

All of that stuff. For this.

I cube the beef, then dry with paper towels.

Appetizing
In a large dutch oven, I preheat 2Tbl veg oil over med-high heat for exactly 5 min.
(if you don't have a dutch oven, forget making Chili until you buy one)
I add half of the cubed meat.


I wait 3 min. (Or 2 1/2min. if like me, you are impatient)
Stir. Brown some more. 3 more min. (Or if like me, whenever)
I reserve the browned beef in a separate bowl.
I season with S&P (AFTER I've browned. not BEFORE)


Add the next half of cubed meat & repeat.

Like so
Same heat, no added oils, I immediately add my chopped onions.
Give a stir & cover for 10 min.
Then, unconvered, add the meat back to the pot, add the sliced garlic, oregano, brown sugar, & 2Tbl of the aforementioned spice mixture. I turn the heat to high for 2 min. I stir, so not to burn anything.

 

I deglaze with 1/2c of brewed coffee or 1 full bottle of Guiness beer. (I usually never have either of the 2 on hand, seeing as that I don't drink coffee & Guiness is for people who can grow beards. But, I really believe in that extra lil-sumthin-sumthin it brings. If you don't then, fine. Be that way.)

Get like me.
After this, I add: 1/2 the can of crushed tomatoes, 4c beef broth (I use 4Tbl Better than Beef Bouillon mixed with 4c water), 2 more cups water, 1 sliced extra large jalapeno (adding a bit of heat & lots of flavor), and add  2Tbl spice mixture.


I cover & simmer for 30 min.
Then, whisk in 2Tbl spice mixture.
I cover & simmer for 30 min.
I uncover, add in the rest of the tomatoes, & whisk in the remaining spice mixture.
I cover & simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally. (I don't want the spices to stick to the bottom)


I uncover. I simmer for 30 min. (Stirring occasionally of course)
After 30min, the cooking is done for me.
(I'm aware the ratio of liquid to meat is, A LOT:a little. But that's how I like it.)

...WAIT! Wait! WAIT! My recipe is not done yet.

I TRY not to eat a bowlful right away. (Sometimes I can resist & sometimes I can't. No big deal.)

(resist or not) Cool. Refridgerate. Then eat the next day. (Duh. Chili always tastes better the next day.)


My Chili will never taste like yours. Just like, your chili will never tast like mine. So make it your own, and be happy with it.

If you want to get personal, my classic way/ritual of eating a bowl of chili is this: I nuke a smedium bowl for 3 minutes, covered in the microwave. I add 5 saltines, a little shredded cheddar, and lots of chopped raw onion.
 

There she is.

Poor Kevin.

No comments:

Post a Comment