Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Frittata

Kelsey Kitchen Confessional:


deep breath. here goes.
Sometimes, out of nowhere, I get fixated on a particular ingredient or a certain seasoning. So much so that I can't let go of it. I simply can't get it out of my head. I constantly, nonstop think about it. I become a woman obsessed. I Google it. I read about it on websites like: Wiki, yahoo Foods, Foodtv, Allrecipes, eHow, and Serious Eats.


It doesn't stop there.
Oh no. There's more.
Much more.


I pull out my stash of cookbooks, look it up in the index, and scan each recipe that includes whatever it is that I've taken such a liking to. I remember every possible DVRed cooking program I have recorded that mentions it, & I rewatch the episode.


I make lists. I brainstorm like a child in school. I look up and read menus. YES. I look up and read menus from places I think would have good ideas for the usage of whatever it is that I can't (simply can not) stop thinking about.


I purposely form conversations with people asking if they have an interesting or favorite way of preparing the item. This conversation is usually started by me completely changing the subject to what I want to talk about...
which is lately...
the Frittata.


To me, Frittata's snot cousin would be the Omelet.
By origin, an omelet is French and a Frittata is Italian.
I'm not French. Never have been. Never will be.
I'm not Italian. Never have been. Sort of want to be.


Either way, me being me, prefers the frittata. It is unfolded and open, unpretentious and forgiving, and very (VERY) versatile.


Before moving on, channel your inner Giada and over ennunciate the Italian way to say "Frittata." It's fun. Say "free." Now say "free" and roll your "r" when you say it. Put the tip of your tongue on the back of your two front teeth and say "taw-taw." Now, put the two together. "Freee-taw-taw."


The two versions of Frittata, that I have made as of late, are:
1. Broccoli, Red Onion, Garlic.
2. Kraft Cheddar Cheese. Gotta rep the USA.


1st Version

2 Eggs whisked
Broccoli sliced
Red Onion sliced
Garlic very thinly sliced
Butter & Extra Virgin Olive Oil




I get that broccoli can sometimes be less than desired. Caramelized broccoli, however, is very tasty. To achieve successful caramelized results, a flat surface needs to be exposed to hot fat.
Since the stem of a broccoli tree (don't lie, you called it that as a kid too) is round, a knife must be taken to it.

Slice your broccoli so that a flat side is exposed
Basically, slice florets of broccoli so that the stem is no longer round





Bad stem.

Good stem.

Slice your onion into 2-3inch slivers. (Just eyeball it)
Slice your garlic PAPER thin. (or as thin as you can without cutting yourself)





Melt 1Tbl EVOO & 1/2Tbl butter in a nonstick pan over medium heat (add more fat if you please)
Once the butter begins to bubble, add broccoli to caramelize 



While the broccoli gets brown & crispy, whisk your eggs




Browning and crisping the broccoli should take 4 (maybe 5) minutes.
Next add & saute onion, garlic, salt & pepper for a couple of minutes
Then add the whisked eggs



Push the cooked outside-edges into the center of the pan
Let the runny uncooked-insides leak to the outer parts of the pan
Repeat this process around the perimeter of the Frittata until a solid base is formed



Gently shimmy the half cooked frittata onto a plate
Cover the plate with the pan
Flip in one fell swoop



Please excuse my pan's ratty-looking bottom

The unveiling. Drum roll please.
Once exposed, give the pan a little shake so the frittata evenly covers the pan.
Cook for 1 minute more



Flip back out onto a plate for presentation purposes. and TA-DAAA! Frittata!


So I told you that Frittatas are very very versatile. And I meant it. There are endless variations, additions, substitutions, and versions of ways to prepare, eat, serve, and fix this wonder of an egg dish.

Next time, brown potatoes for a Potato Frittata. (or known in Spain as Tortilla de Patatas)



Or make the Frittata exactly as I did, except swap out the broccoli for potatoes.


Want more?
Add chopped chorizo & parsley.


Bored eating with a fork? Cut like a pizza & eat with your hands.


2nd version

No pesky chopping or waiting around for things to caramelize is needed.
More importantly, no veggies are present. It's bad. But in a good way.

Whisk together
2 eggs & 3Tbl of grated Cheddar Cheese


Melt 1TBL butter in a nonstick pan
Add the whisked eggs & cheese
Season with salt
Add a splash of cream if you want. I want.




You know the drill.
Then serve.


Did I mention you can eat Frittatas at anytime of day? Morning. Noon. Night. Afternoon. Twilight. Dusk. Dawn. The Witching Hour. Now. Later. Whenever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment