Thursday, April 16, 2015

My Great Grandma McVey's Chocolate Cherry Cake

In light of spring cleaning, I've decided to post a recipe I found while rummaging around the house. I'm a rummager. Are you? Anywho! This recipe is one that is totally not my speed... but I'm an open minded person and don't want to exclude anyone with a sweet tooth.

So here goes!!

My Great Grandma McVey's Chocolate Cherry Cake

Cake:
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 can cherry pie filling
2 eggs
1teas vanilla
1/2teas almond extract

Icing:
5Tbl margarine
1C sugar
1/3C milk
6oz. chocolate chips

For cake: Beat eggs, add pie filling, vanilla, and almond extract. Add to cake mix, and mix well. Bake in greased and floured 9x13 cake pan. Bake @ 350 for 40min.

For icing: Bring margarine, milk, and sugar to a boil. Stir in chocolate chips. When chips are melted, pour over warm cake.

Now! The tricky part. I don't know the exact quantity of the cherry pie filling. I also don't bake hardly enough to give a rough estimate (sorry!) And I don't enjoy baking enough to go out and recipe test this one. (sorry! again!)

A shot in the dark guess would be a 16oz (ish) can? I can't ask her this question (looking for an answer) either because she's dead. You see, this is why cooking with your grandmas (or pas) and elders is so important. These little pieces of information are so critical and crucial!! I typed verbatim what my Grandma Ailene wrote to me on an index card. I love nostalgia.

4 comments:

  1. Hey there - did she say whether the sugar in the icing was regular white sugar or powdered sugar ? And I think the cherry pie filling only comes in one standard size. Sounds easy enough to throw together for a gathering of the clan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm assuming the icing calls for powdered sugar. My Grandma Weinbrenner (rest in peace) also has a German Chocolate Cake that is to die for & is so easy! It's so good, it doesn't need icing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge icing fan anyhow - so that German Chocolate cake sounds yummy.

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised Dad hasn't made it for y'all yet.

    ReplyDelete