Saturday, April 18, 2015

Giada SPLITS from hubby


Big Whoop! Call me later if you have juicier news or something more interesting to talk about... say... FOOD!

If you know me, then you know I have an avid love affair with YouTube. It's part of my everyday lifestyle. Lately, I've been watching videos that feature a former cooking show from the Food Network. The show? Everyday Italian. The host? Giada de Laurentiis.

Which brings me to: Conghilie With Clams and Mussels
 

Clicky Clicky to watch for yourself

Ingredients:
3/4lb medium Shells
3 cloves of garlic (thinly sliced)
2 heads of broccoli
1/2C of white wine
3Tbls EVOO
salt and papper
hefty pinch of red pepper flakes
some flour
some white wine

Directions:
Set a large pot to boil. Clean the clams and mussels by filling a large bowl with cold water. Toss in a couple of handfuls of flour and let set. This will ensure no sand in food. (as Gabrielle Hamilton says: nothing is worse in food than sand. or okay, maybe hair) Thinly slice the garlic cloves, set aside. Chop the broccoli into bite-sized florets, set aside. Salt the boiling water. Add the pasta. Set a cold pan over medium heat and add the garlic immediately. Wait for it to brown. Tilt the pan to encourage this process. Add red pepper flakes by the pinch. Add the clams and wine and cover. Remove when they've all opened. (peaking is allowed) Add the mussels. (same thing about the peaking) Two minutes prior to the pasta being done, add in the broccoli florets. Drain. Add to the pan full of wine and shellfish, metalicky goodness. Toss. Salt and Pepper. Serve. Best when eaten at room temperature & outside. It's perfectly fine eaten cold, straight from the fridge as well.
 
How inviting!
 
tilting. This is also a great trick when making fried rice. to do this trick, add chopped ginger alongside the garlic (I'd say equal amounts) and allow to crisp. Crispy ginger and garlic atop a mound of fried rice truly takes it over the edge of deliciousness.
 
back to the pasta.
 
 
I love the sound of clanking shells. I added both at the same time. This was a rookie mistake since clams take longer to open than mussels by about 2-3min.
 
a chef might say don't peak. and a chef may be right. Lucky for you, I'm a forgiving cook. Peak away! I won't tell.
 
a boiling pot of pasta. so reassuring. so homey.

here's where it gets healthy

Serve

2 comments:

  1. Can you believe that at my 'advanced' age, I've never had either of these - but your recipe makes me want to venture forth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad! Mom was brave and tried both today. I don't think she's all the way convinced/converted.

    ReplyDelete